Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bibbe Song (Tender Cashewnut Curry)

Bibbe Song is one of the classic, rich konkani dish. Bibbo in konkani means tender cashew nut. I have mentioned about it in one of my older post here. 
I had never heard/tasted this dish before my marriage. After my marriage, my husband made this for me. I just had no words after eating it! This dish is not only my husband's favorite but its a family favorite. Now even I belong to that group! After eating this, I am sure even you will join our group:-) 


Ingredients:
  • Tender Cashew nut- 1 1/2 cups
  • Onion, medium sized- 1
  • Potato, medium sized- 1
  • Tomato, medium sized- 1
  • Red Chilli powder- To taste
  • Oil- 2-3 Tbsp
  • Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
  • Salt- To taste
Try using the cashew nuts which is available at your place, if you can't find tender cashew nuts (I know its not easily available).

Procedure:

Soak the dried tender cashew nuts in hot water for 15-20 minutes (if using fresh tender cashew nuts then skip this step). Soaking the cashews helps in removing the outer cover easily.


Now, peel the cashew nuts (if you are not using tender cashew nuts then skip the initial two steps)


Now chop onion, potato and tomato into desired shape and size (cashew nut requires more time to cook. So I made it in a cooker). Heat oil in a cooker. Add mustard seeds. Once it starts spluttering, add chopped onions. 


Fry for 4-5 minutes. Now add chopped potatoes. 


Continue frying for 2-3 minutes. Now add chopped tomato. Mix it well.


Now add red chilli powder and salt. Mix it well. Finally add cleaned tender cashew nuts.


Add water as required (Nearly 1-2 cups). Close the lid of the cooker and cook it until the whistle blows 3 times (by this time the potatoes will get over cooked. Don't worry. This gives thickness to the curry. I made the curry thick. You can adjust the thickness after opening the lid.If adding water/want to remove water, bring it a boil for few minutes. If the curry has become very spicy, then you can add little bit of tamarind pulp). Bibbe Song is ready!!


Serve it hot with rice or rotis. Above measurement serves two people.

No comments :

Post a Comment