Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tingalavre Randayi (White beans Curry)

Tingalavre Randayi is a very tasty dish which goes very well with Shevai (rice noodles). As I had mentioned in my previous post- Ukde Shevai, it is an awesome combination. This combination is a family favorite. This is a signature recipe of my husband's maternal grand mother's family. In our whole family, this dish is popular as 'Bandaje Randayi' :-) (Bandaje is a small village in Karnataka). The speciality of this dish is- it has no seasoning and it is very mild.
Few months back, I tried making Shevai (rice noodles) for the first time and I was not at all happy with the results. Hence after that I never tried making it again. Since last few days, the crave to have Shevai, again increased. I thought of making it on a weekend, so that I will get some help. I told him about this.

V- Shevai sounds great. Also don't forget to soak the white beans to make Tingalavre Randayi.
me- What? I am not going to make tingalavre randayi. My amma always served shevai with pickle and coconut oil and love that combination.
V- How can I eat shevai without tingalavre randayi? Either I want both or none.
me- Ok, I will make shevai and eat it all by myself. You just stare at me while eating...:-)

Blah blah blah.....in this way the conversation continued for a long time and finally he convinced me to make Tingalavre Randayi. Guess what it tasted so good that we finished off everything, even though we were full. Now I understood why he forced me to make this dish. Trust me you will just fall in love with it.

Ingredients:
  • Tingalavro/White beans- 1/2 cup
  • Onion, small- 1
  • Potato, medium sized- 1
  • Grated coconut, fresh/frozen- 2/3 cup
  • Roasted red chilli- 3-4
  • Tamarind- A small ball (gooseberry sized)
  • Salt- To taste
Procedure:

Soak the white beans for 8 hours.


Chop onions and potatoes into bite size. Take the white beans, chopped onion and potatoes in a cooker along with required amount of water and salt. 


Cook it for five whistles. It should look like this after cooking (don't worry if the potatoes are slightly over cooked).


Now, for Masala- Grind grated coconut, roasted red chillies and tamarind to a fine consistency with required amount of water. Add this masala to the cooked beans and bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, continue heating for five more minutes (Consistency should be medium thick). Turn off the heat. Tingalavre Randayi is ready!!


Serve it hot with Ukde Shevai. It also goes well with rice, idli, dosa.

No comments :

Post a Comment