Thursday, December 8, 2011

Kultha Chutney (Horse gram Chutney)

Kultha Chutney is a very simple and tasty chutney. Kulithu in konkani means horse gram. I had posted the benefits of horse gram in one my posts- Kultha idli. I got this recipe from a cook book written by Jaya V Shenoy. My amma never made this and it is totally new to me too. This is a old dish and slowly it is getting lost. Hence I thought of trying it so that I can post. The taste was excellent. Try making this healthy chutney and enjoy!!

Ingredients:
  • Horse gram- 2 Tbsp
  • Grated Coconut, fresh/frozen- 2/3 cup
  • Roasted red chillies- 3-4
  • Tamarind- A small ball (goose berry sized)
  • Salt- To taste
Procedure:

First roast horse gram until it changes its color slightly and gives out a nice aroma (it might take 3-4 minutes).
Now grind grated coconut along with roasted red chillies, tamarind and salt. Then, to this ground mixture, add the dry roasted horse gram and grind it again adding water as required (don't add too much water . Water is added just to bring all the ingredients together). Transfer the contents to a bowl. Kultha Chutney is ready!!


Serve it with dosa, idli or rotis. Above measurement serves 2-3 people.

4 comments :

  1. Hi Manjula, I came across your blog much before I realised it was yours!! I actually thought the author of this blog was Lakshmi :-))) Anyway, great to be connected with you, you have a lovely space with some really nice recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha..ya I never disclosed my identity. Will update it soon. Glad to be a friend of yours:-) Thank you for the compliments:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. healthy one. i too use the same procedure

    ReplyDelete
  4. ya horse gram is healthy and gives a different taste to the coconut chutney..

    ReplyDelete