Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dudhi Idli (Pumpkin Idli)

Dudhi Idli is a simple Konkani breakfast. In Konkani, dudhi means pumpkin. I got this recipe from my mother.


I have seen many people who are not a fan of pumpkin. Even I belong to this group. I hardly get this veggie. My mother used to make this idli once in a while and I never even dared to taste it, as I had assumed it won't taste great. But now I am in the mode of experimenting. Hence got a small piece of pumpkin and tried it. To my surprise it tasted great with ghee. Do try making this simple idli. The pumpkin induces a different flavor as well as a eye pleasing color.

Ingredients:
  • Raw rice - 1 cup
  • Grated Pumpkin- 1 cup
  • Grated coconut, fresh/frozen - 1/4 cup
  • Jaggery- To taste (optional, add according to how sweet you want )
  • Salt- 1/4 tsp

Procedure:

Wash and soak the rice for two hours. Then drain the water completely and then grind it into a semi coarse paste ( give 4-5 pulses). Transfer this semi coarse paste to a large mixing bowl.


Now remove the skin of the pumpkin.


Then grate it.


Add the grated pumpkin along with grated coconut, jaggery (if using. I added 2-3 Tbsp) and salt to the bowl containing rice paste.


Mix it well.


Grease the idli moulds with oil.  Then pour the rice- pumpkin mixture half way through, in each mould.


Steam it for 15 minutes.


Once done, allow it to cool for 3-4 minutes. Then remove it by loosening the edges with the back of a spoon.



Dudhi idlis are ready!!


Serve hot with ghee. Above measurement makes seven big sized idlis.

No comments :

Post a Comment